M.A., Columbia University, 1978
Advanced Certificate in Conservation, New York University Conservation Center, Institute of Fine Arts, 1982
Plant materials used as paint binders or patination materials on cultural objects; indigenous communities and conservation decision-making; the developing role of preventive conservation; conservation education.
- Pearlstein, E., M. Hughs, J. Mazurek, K. McGraw, C. Pesme, and M. Garcia-Garibay, 2014, Correlations between photochemical damage and UV fluorescence of feathers, ICOM-CC 17th Triennial Conference, Melbourne, Australia September 15-19, 2014, Preprints, abstracted accepted, paper under review.
- Pearlstein, E., 2014, Displaying feathers, what history tells us, in Images Take Flight; Feather Art in Mexico and Europe, Alessandra Russo, Gerhard Wolf, Diana Fanes, eds., Chicago: University of Chicago Press in collaboration with the Kunsthistorisches Institut-Max-Planck Institut in Florence and the Museo Nacional de Arte (MUNAL) in Mexico City, in press.
- Robin O’Hern, Ellen Pearlstein and Susan Elizabeth Gagliardi, 2014, Beyond the Surface: Where Cultural Contexts and Scientific Analyses Meet in the Conservation of Komo Helmet Masks in Museum Collections, Museum Anthropology, paper under review.
- Robin O’Hern & Ellen Pearlstein (2013) Label removal from deteriorated leather-bound books, Journal
of the Institute of Conservation, 36:2, 109-124.
- Riedler, R., C. Pesme, J. Druzik, M. Gleeson, and E. Pearlstein, 2014, A review of color producing mechanisms in feathers and their influence on preventive conservation strategies, Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 53:1, 44-65.
- Pearlstein, E., and D. Lohnas, 2013, Conservation outreach materials for a tribal museum without conservators, Playing to the Galleries and Engaging New Audiences: the public face of conservation, London: Archetype Publications, 222-231.
- Kaplan, E., Howe, E. Pearlstein, E., and Levinson, J. 2013, The Qero Project: Conservation and Science Collaboration Over Time, Postprints of the Research and Technical Studies Group, American Institute for Conservation.
- Gleeson, M., Pearlstein, E., Marshall, B., and Riedler, R. 2012. California featherwork: considerations for examination and preservation. Museum Anthropology, 35 (2) 101–114.
- de Alarcon , T., Ohern, R., Pearlstein, E. 2012, Case Studies in Basketry Repair: Two Abenaki Splint Baskets, Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 51:123–143.
- Pearlstein, E. and Gleeson, M., 2012, Developing a technical and condition database for California Native American featherwork, Sharing Conservation, Eds. Cristina D’Andrea, Ufficio Pubblicazioni Musei Vaticani, and Daniela Rullo, Gruppo Italiano dell’International Institute for Conservation (IGIIC).
- Riedler, R., Pearlstein, E., Gleeson, M. 2012 Featherwork- Beyond decorative, Contributions to the Vienna Congress, London: Maney & Sons Publishers, S244-S249.
- Pearlstein, E., Gleeson, M., Riedler, R., 2012, Developing a technical and condition database for California Native American featherwork, Collection Forum, 26 (Issues 1/2) 12-30.
- Pearlstein, E., Riedler, R., Gleeson, M., Druzik, J., Pesme C., 2011, Collaborations in the study of Native California featherwork, ICOM-CC 16th Triennial Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, September 19-23, 2011, Preprints, London: James and James.
- Pearlstein, E., Dec. 2010, ‘The Conservation of Feathers: an Introductory Workshop,’ ICOM-CC Ethnographic Newsletter (Newsletter article)
- Pearlstein, E. and Keene, L., 2010, Evaluating Color and Fading of Red-Shafted Flicker (Colaptes auratus cafer) Feathers: Technical and Cultural Considerations, Studies in Conservation,55.
- Pearlstein, E., 2010, Conservation and Preservation of Museum Objects, Encyclopedia of Library and Information Sciences, Dr. Marcia J. Bates and Dr. Mary Niles Maack, editors, New York: Taylor and Francis Group LLC.
- Pearlstein, E., 2010, Restoring Provenance to a Native American Feather Blanket, Museum Management and Curatorship, 24:2.
- Pearlstein, E., Brostoff, L., Trentelman, K., February 2009, A Technical Study of the Rosebud Winter Count, Plains Anthropologist, 54, no. 209.
- Pearlstein, E., Gleeson, M. 2009 Teaching Preservation of Tribal Collections in a Blended Format, International Council on Museums, Conservation Committee, Ethnographic Working Group Newsletter 30, 10-12. (Newsletter article).
- E. Pearlstein, 2008, Collaborative Conservation Education: The UCLA/Getty Program and the Agua Caliente Cultural Museum, publication of proceedings of Symposium 2007: Preserving Aboriginal Heritage – Technical and Traditional Approaches, Dignard, Carole; Helwig, Kate; Mason, Janet; Nanowin, Kathy; Stone, Thomas, eds. Canadian Conservation Institute, Ottawa, 305-310.